Sunday, May 17, 2015

At Flashbak: Evil Record Companies!


This week at Flashbak, I remembered the most evil record companies in rock movie history.



"The most evil force an aspiring rock’n’roll group can face is…the record company.

Now, one might believe that record companies are would be-saviors: plucking singers from obscurity, signing new talent and making dreams come true. 

But if rock’n’roll movies have told us anything over the decades it’s this: be afraid.  Be very afraid of the corporate record company.


Frank Zappa’s Baby Snakes (1979) warned us about a real record company (Warner Bros.) but movies about fictional rock bands have often adopted the same approach, again and again casting the corporate cronies of record companies as a force destructive to both creativity and long-term success.
Here are five of the most evil record companies in rock movie history..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...